Thursday 16 June 2011

pizza dough (yeast free)

Homemade pizza is on our table on Fridays, sometimes on other days as well. Because I make yeast free pizza dough there is no need to wait for the dough to rise, it's ready as soon as the ingredients are mixed. This recipe is from my friend CafeSigrun and I have doubled it because there are five in our household (I make 6-7 thin crust pizzas). I only use ½ teaspoon sea salt because my sauce also contains salt and when each pizza is ready I add a little sea salt on top. I use 1½-2 tablespoons gluten free baking powder but instead you can use about 1 tablespoon of regular. Sometimes I make pizza for lunch while the kids are at school and then I simply divide the rest of the dough into round balls and freeze them. If you want pizza dough with yeast I can recommend Jamie Oliver's recipe; that's the recipe I always made before.

PIZZA DOUGH (YEAST FREE)

INGREDIENTS

  • 500 g spelt flour
  • 1½-2 tablespoons gluten free baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt (you can use more if you want)
  • ½ teaspoon oregano (optional)
  • 0-1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 225-275 ml hot water (I use exactly 250 ml = 1 cup)

METHOD

  1. In a large bowl, mix the spelt flour, baking powder, sea salt and oregano
  2. Add the olive oil and water and mix the dough gently with a large wooden spoon
  3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead it a bit with your hands. The texture of the dough should be fairly soft and it shouldn't stick to the work surface
  4. Tear a piece from the dough, lightly knead it and flatten it out with a rolling pin before placing it on a pizza tin or a baking sheet (I make 6-7 pizzas, depending on how large I want them and I use a pizza stone with a diameter of 32 cm (12.6 inches)
  5. Top with pizza sauce and your choice of topping and bake in the oven at 230°C/450 °F/gas mark 8 for 7-10 minutes
  6. When each pizza is ready I always drizzle it with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and then I add some sea salt, oregano and freshly ground black pepper



Pin It button on image hover